Regional Policy Statement
The Regional Policy Statement (RPS) provides a broad direction and framework for managing the West Coast’s natural and physical resources under the Resource Management Act 1991. It includes the principles that are important to West Coast communities, identifies regionally significant issues, objectives to address the issues, and policies and methods to achieve the objectives.
The first Regional Policy Statement became operative on 8 February 2000.
New operative Regional Policy Statement
The 2000 RPS has been through a review process over the last 7-10 years:
- On 16 March 2015 the proposed Regional Policy Statement was publicly notified for submissions;
- 72 submissions and 24 further submissions were received;
- Hearings on the Proposed Regional Policy Statement were held on 14, 15, and 21 May 2018.
- Council’s Decisions on Submissions to the proposed RPS were publicly notified on 17 August 2018;
- Three appeals were lodged with the Environment Court. They were resolved by mediation, and the Environment Court accepted all the mediation changes on 17 June 2020.
- The West Coast Regional Council approved the Court’s Determination on 14 July 2020.
- The RPS will become operative on 24 July 2020. Here is a link to the new, operative RPS:
Here is a link to the operative Regional Policy Statement (RPS).