Essential Freshwater Package
In August 2020 the Government released changes to the National Policy Statement for Freshwater Management (NPS-FM) and the Measurement and Reporting of Water Takes Regulations (Water Take Metering Regulations). A National Environmental Standard for Freshwater (NES-FW) and Stock Exclusion Regulations were also introduced. The new policies and regulations took effect on 03 September 2020.
The Regional Council are responsible for implementing the new policy and regulations as well as monitoring compliance with these. We will work alongside our affected landowners and community to provide information and support as much as possible as the new regulations take place.
The Essential Freshwater Package and related Resource Management Act amendments have also signaled the Government’s intention to bring in some level of Fresh Water Farm Plan requirements. Government agencies are still developing what this will look like, and we will add more information on this once we have it to hand.
For further detail on each part of the Essential Freshwater Package click on the sections below:
- National Policy Statement for Freshwater Management
- National Environment Standard Freshwater
- Stock Exclusion Regulations
- Water Take Metering
Government policy documents
- National Policy Statement Freshwater Management (NPS-FM)
- National Environmental Standards (NES)
- Stock exclusion regulations
- Farm Plan regulations
- Measurement and reporting of water takes regulation
Other information from the Ministry for the Environment include:
- Summary of the Government’s essential freshwater policies
- Support and advice available for farmers and communities
- Summary - Action for Healthy Waterways - Information for Horticultural Growers
- Summary - Action for Healthy Waterways - Information for iwi and Maori
Talk to your industry representatives and visit their websites: